Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Miércoles, 11 Junio 10 am - a typical evening and morning?

Last night Michael made polenta (like grits, only thicker) and squash. I found out that you can get slices, or pieces, of vegetables at the "veduria" (small fruit & vegetable stands; I'm not sure I spelled that right). That's handy!

We watched futbol (soccer) for a while; I went upstairs and started channel surfing on the OTHER big screen TV. I'd patiently gone through every channel on the downstairs TV, writing down which ones had English with Spanish subtitles, what the programming appeared to be, and so on. I went upstairs, and lo and behold, it appears to be a completely different system, which took me quite a while to figure out. At first all I could get was MTV type music videos.

Michael came up, and we watched Filadefia (Philadelphia, with Tom Hanks) with Spanish subtitles. I like that best, because I can keep an eye on the Spanish, and learn a little, without losing the story entirely.

We are sleeping well, because it's cold outside & cool in the house; what the Bordeaux family always refers to as "good sleeping weather". When we woke up at 7, it was still dark; lazed around a bit before getting up. Michael is has his lectures prepared for Thursday and Friday.

Once I got up, I headed for my computer, and for a change, acted in a somewhat disciplined fashion: putting devotions first. I resumed a process that I'd started last fall: I go to The Upper Room, and read it in Spanish: http://upperroom.org/elaposentoalto/default.asp?month=6&day=11&year=2008

Using various resources, I read the text of the scripture in Spanish, then English. I also listen to it in Spanish. Then I read the devotional in Spanish & then I discover what I was reading! Every day the author is a reader of The Upper Room, and there are readers all over the world. Me gusto (I like it)

Today's devotional was about patience, and I had to laugh because I had just been "chatting" with my cousin Kitty in New York State about that. If you'd like to read the text in English, you can find it on my new blog:
http://practicingchristian.blogspot.com/

Here's an excerpt, which made me laugh:
PATIENCE is a virtue but not one of mine. When I was young, I heard a minister say that if we pray for patience, events will come to teach us patience and help us mature. I determined not to pray for patience so I would never have to wait in long lines, be delayed in travel, or deal with difficult people. For the record, that plan did not work out. -- Amy Pease (Illinois, U.S.A.)

Well, now it's nearly 10:30, so it's time to find out if Quaker Oats in Argentina taste the same as at home.

No comments: