Friday, June 13, 2008

Viernes, 13 Junio 5 pm - por mi padre favorito!

I'm posting this for Michael, because I laughed and thought of him when I walked by... this is a parking garage, but it could be anyplace. "No hay cambio por $100" is one of the fun games in BA... the cash machines only dispense $100 peso notes. So you are happy... you have some cash in hand. But wait -- nobody has change for $100 pesos. Certainly not at the grocery store, at least not without holding up the line to call the manager to come over. My first foray into grocery buying, this happened to me. And behind me in line, 3 other people, almost certainly locals, with their $100 peso notes in hand... go figure!

Oh, one more challenge: in order to ride a bus, you must have change. The bus costs 90 centavos. But whenever you buy ANYthing, it's in round numbers, so it's impossible to get change! Today I bought an Andes mint type thing (which, coindidentally, cost 90 centavos) and I'm now the proud possessor of a 1 peso coin and a 10 centavo coin. So I'm set. But it's easier just to walk! :)

Happy Father's Day, Michael my dear; thank you for bringing me here...

5 comments:

Jude K. said...

Voila! Je m'amuse bien au blog.

Daniel R. Grayson said...

Well, with $1.10 you aren't all set yet to
pay $.90 on the bus...

Laura Grace Bordeaux said...

Actually, I'm not ready to figure out which bus I want... there are multiple bus companies, many of which serve the same routes (I think) and getting on one is an adventure Michael has had more than once, to his regret!

Anonymous said...

You're blog is coming through loud and clear and we're all enjoying the photos!

Anonymous said...

by the way, ATMs can and most of the time will issue different notes not just $100 ones